Posted on 10 Dec by Admin | 3 min read
Understanding your child is of utmost importance to all the parents. Every child is just like soft clay waiting to be moulded not just physically but also thought wise and personality wise.
What does the term child psychology and behaviour mean?
This term is a branch of psychology which explores the mental, emotional and behavioural progress of a child. It is an indication of the entire journey of a child right from its infancy until the end of their adolescence. This helps researchers to further study the children’s cognitive and intellectual behaviour.
Understanding what makes the children click is a critical task. This particular field of study provides the ultimate goal in improving parenting, child care and psychological behaviour which helps in benefiting children.
Below mentioned are a few tips that will help you understand your child in a better and efficient way:
- The only way you can understand your child is by being around them. Observing them while they play, the way your child interacts with other kids around them, their reactions to things will help parents understand a great deal about their children’s personality.
- Always make sure that you make your child realise that you are always there for them whenever they need you. This is the first step towards building a friendship with them and will also make your child feel secure, loved and wanted.
- If you think just by being around your children is enough, think again. To get to know your child better always spend quality time with them. Do activities together such as playing games, cleaning rooms, etc. this will help them open up to you.
- Inorder for your child to gain confidence praise him for doing a good job. This will help them gain confidence and boost their self-esteem. Make sure you never overpraise them because it might make your child more snobbish and arrogant.
- Give your children complete and undivided attention that they need. Always make eye contact while you are talking or listening to them. This will ease your child to have conversations with you and you will also get to know your child better which will result in a stronger bond between you two.
- When your child confronts you with their insecurities, fears or situations that they are not able to face, do not laugh or belittle them. Understand and respect your child because it would have taken your child immense courage to open up to you.
- If you see your child misbehaving or showing negative behaviour, try to find the cause behind it. By doing so you will know the reason and what you can do to rectify it. This will help you to enhance your parenting skills even more.
- Always have complete knowledge about your child’s likes and dislikes.
- Always encourage your children to speak their mind and express their feelings to you. This would help you to get an idea about their thinking process.
- Never show excessive curiousness into your child’s life as this will result in your child thinking that you don’t believe in them. This will cause a negative impact on the bond you will be trying to build with your child.
These are only a few pointers to consider as it is not easy for a parent to understand their child. To further enhance your parenting skills make sure you are well aware of your child’s personality because this will help you to focus on your child’s talents and positive behaviour which will provide your children with well-rounded personality in later years.
Back to Blog